- 4th Oct, 2017
How to Stay Motivated in Hard Times
Sometimes in life there are times when negativity seems to surround us, changing our outlook and destroying our hope. Many go through their lives being saturated with negativity and accepting it as just a way of life. While you can’t always control what happens to you, you can control how you respond to it. When you're feeling like that, create a positive environment around you and you’ll begin to become more motivated to achieve your dreams, goals, and move forward. Remember it doesn't take leaps and bounds, but small efforts consistently over time adding up that will make a difference in your life.
Here are 10 small steps to stay motivated through hard times:
1. Have an attitude of expectancy. You will get what you expect. Expect something great to happen for you every day and it will. The energy you put out is the energy you will attract. Say aloud each morning to yourself in the mirror, “I expect good to happen today!” Or, "happiness is unlimited to me!"
2. Take control over what you can, and stop worrying about what you can’t. Some things are within your control, while other things are not. Learn to recognize the difference. Refuse to worry about circumstances beyond your control. Only you can control your own actions and reactions and the truth is none of us can afford to worry about things that we cannot control.
3. Read and listen to positive information. If you fill your mind with inspiring and positive information, your attitude and action will reflect that. Commit to 20 minutes of
or so a day to feed your soul with some positive and motivations truths. Podcasts, & personal development books are a great start. You can even accomplish this while driving. Instead of listening to the radio, press play on an audible or podcast. You need constant reminders telling you that you are capable and that this life is abundant to you.
4. Be with positive people as often as possible. Negative people and conversations will have you focused on all the wrong things and may take your focus off of what actually matters. Seek out positive people and don’t engage in negative conversations. Instead, choose to remain neutral or just don’t participate at all. If you find yourself caught in the middle of a conversation that is going in the wrong direction, change the subject to something productive. Be very protective over this because it can drain us more than we realize. It's OK to say no & invest your time elsewhere.
5. Speak positive affirmations. Words have a creative force. What we speak out loud we give life to. Regardless of what is going on around you, speak out loud what you want to happen, or how you want to feel. Write out an affirmation that you can say daily and put it up somewhere that you are sure to see it every day, like your bathroom mirror or your refrigerator. "I am enough. I am strong. I am loved. I don't quit."
6. Learn from your mistakes, & understand that failure is OK. We all make mistakes; the key is to understand that we can fail forward, instead of believing failure means "this isn't for me" or "I can't do it". No one ever expected you to be perfect. Failure and mistakes are all apart of the process. So stay kind to yourself and apply what you learn from your failures. Failures makes us better after all.
7. Make a plan. Have you heard, “If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.” When you take time to plan, you allow yourself to think through the entire process from beginning to end. This can spark ideas, improve productivity and ensure a great outcome. Once you have a written agenda, you are immediately going to be motivated to accomplish it. Without one, you have nothing to run with and end up feeling stuck when you come to a road block.
8. Celebrate accomplishments, whether big or small. Always take time out to celebrate. Rewards play a huge part in staying motivated. Reward yourself each and every time you reach a goal. It could be anything from taking a weekend away or treating yourself to a movie night. Just don’t overlook it. Think about something you have recently accomplished and plan a way to celebrate it within the next 10 days. It can be as simple as a glass of bubbly. Reward yourself — you are worth it!
9. Build your tribe. Having the right tribe surrounding you is critical to help support and encourage you in your journey. You will be amazed at what you can get through and accomplish when you have cheerleaders that support you along the way. It is worth the effort to put the right support system in place. Make a list of some people in your circle that truly want the best for you no matter what and that love you. Invest in those relationships.
10. Agree to never quit. Failure is only when we quit and walk away. If we never quit then we never lose.